Since the dawn of time, human beings have always consumed broths prepared from certain fish or from the bones or fatty and gelatinous parts of animals for their benefits. Nowadays, these are often put aside and wasted in large quantities as contemporary consumer habits have focused on the lean parts, with less diversity.
We share this oxtail broth recipe for its exceptionally high content in collagen and special amino acids such as proline and glycine which are becoming scarce in modern diets. Yet these amino acids help support the skin and its natural functions to prevent premature aging1, skin firmness1 and hydration2. Gelatin also helps strengthen bones, cartilage3 and joints in general4.
You can prepare this broth from bone. However, the gelatin will be less important. So choose parts such as the tail or the shank which are sold at a very affordable price because they are considered less noble in modern diet. Here is the detailed recipe that will allow you to fill up on gelatin to support your body in the production of collagen and regenerate your beauty.
- 1 kg of oxtail (if possible grass-fed and organic)
- 1 handful of dried onions
- 3 liters of water or up to the maximum possible of your pressure cooker
- 1/2 teaspoon of untreated salt without additives or 250 ml (= 8 fl.oz.) of hypertonic seawater (marine plasma)
- The bones or tail should be thawed, rinsed and placed in the bottom of the pressure cooker. Our favorite is Instant Pot for its efficiency and affordability.
- Then add the dried onions, salt or seawater, and water.
- Cooking should be a minimum of 2 hours in the pressure cooker with the pressure cook option (it is possible to leave it overnight).
- After cooking and depressurizing, filter the broth before placing it in decanters to let it stand at room temperature for a few hours.
- Finally, everything can be put in the refrigerator and the fat will rise to the surface in a solid form. You can cook with or not according to your food choices.
It is possible to double the quantities to prepare, as long as you have a sufficiently large pressure cooker
This broth is delicious and addictive. It can be made with this ancestral and beneficial recipe, especially if you can choose quality ingredients.
For the daily consumption of your broth, simply heat the gelatin in a small saucepan so that everything becomes liquid in a few minutes.
Depending on your needs, you can consume 250 ml to 500ml every day (= 8 to 16 fl. oz.).
If needed, add a pinch of salt as recommended by the precious Angela Peck, holistic esthetician to retain these precious fluids for even better hydration from the inside out.
We hope you like it and that it supports the regeneration of your skin.
Of course, some skincare products can make a difference, such as our Stella serum which is enriched with collagen and active ingredients that stimulate collagen production. In addition, drink your broth as often as possible to increase the effects.
Collagen and Skin Articles (external links):
Collagen and bone health items